Controlling read access

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 21:28:05 UTC 2008

John Almberg wrote:
> I operate a server on which I am typically the only ssh user, but I do
> provide a small number of users ftp access.
>
> Each user has their own home directory. Currently all home directories
> have read permission set for 'other'. This means if I log in as one
> user, I can read and even download the contents of other users home
> directories.
>
> I want to block this read access. What is the best way to do this?
> Turn off the read bit for 'other'? Or is there some better way?
>
> Thanks: John

What ftp server software are you using?

For example, in proftpd, you simply add this line to
/usr/local/etc/proftpd.conf:

DefaultRoot ~

and everyone is "jailed" into his own directory.

It also seems the ftp daemon in the base system supports this through
/etc/ftpchroot.
If you are using it, read the man pages for ftpd(8) and ftpchroot(5)