Group Limits

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Thu Jul 31 13:39:42 UTC 2008

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 07:32:23 +1000
Michael Christie <michael at powerzone.net.au> wrote:

> I am running webmin and virtualmin  on freebsd  7.0,  I have  found when
> i add a number of domains using virtualmin and restart apachie i get the
> following error.
>
> [alert] (22)Invalid argument: initgroups: unable to set groups for User
> www and Group 80...    Apachie will not start..
>

>  it happens when the 'apache' or 'httpd' user is a member of too many groups. By default,
> Virtualmin adds the user Apache runs as to each domain's group, which
> eventually triggers this problem.

so is the dummy spit by apache itself, or a syscall made by apache ?

u can use ktrace on apache when starting/dying and see what is causing the actual problem.

IF the issue really is central to /etc/groups , would moving to a bigger user management system (LDAP, NIS ? ) be possible? ( possibly implies changes to virtualmin too..)