question about new monitor...

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Wed Jul 30 18:31:35 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 10:44:32AM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 06:29:01PM +0200, Roland Smith wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 06:46:33PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> > >
> > > 		I've changed my mind:: if I go to 20" i can get widescreen
> > > 		with 1680x1050, so my current 1284x1024 would fit.  IFF
> > > 		xorg know what kind of beast this is:-)
> >
> > Xorg can "talk" to modern monitors using the ddc2 protocol (but only
> > with a DVI connection, AFAICT). Effectively the monitor tells Xorg what
> > it's capable of WRT resolutions, rehresh rates etc. It's pretty neat.
> >

> 	So in effect, since all my connections are going thru mt old,
> 	analog KVM  switch, this won't work. Not only that, but my two
> 	desktops would need two new video cards.  So best to stick with
> 	the
> 	older standard ... until
>

> 		So in effect, since all my connections are going thru mt
> 		old, analog KVM  switch, this won't work. Not only that,
> 		but my two desktops would need two new video cards.  So
> 		best to stick with the older standard.

It should actually work fine over an analog connection (including via a
KVM, assuming the KVM is not too old.)  It works fine for me anyway.

One thing to watch out for when using a KVM is if a computer can get
information from the monitor even it is is not the active unit on the KVM.
Many newer KVM switches caches the response from the monitor, so all
attached computers can get information about the monitor.
Older KVM switches typically do not do this, so then you need to have each
attached computer be active when it starts to get information from the
monitor.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson