When gcc43 is expected to be in base?

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 30 17:18:22 UTC 2008

Jakub Lach wrote:

> Kris Kennaway-3 wrote:
>> Jakub Lach wrote:
>>> I'm eager to have core2 march, but don't want to mess system forcing
>>> gcc43 as
>>> base.
>> I don't think it is planned to update to gcc 4.3 since it is covered by
>> the GPLv3.
>
> Thanks for fast answer, is there any chance that licensing stuff is going to
> be omitted?

There is basically no chance the GCC developers will reconsider their
decision to relicense GCC 4.3 to GPLv3.

> If not, will then FreeBSD move to another compiler?

The existing gcc 4.2 will be supported for some time by the gcc
developers.  In the meantime hopefully llvm/clang will mature enough to
provide an alternative.  It is already quite far along and has
significant resources behind it (apple, etc).

Kris