setting the other end's TCP segment size

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Wed Jul 30 07:12:46 UTC 2008

> >> Is there a simple way for a FreeBSD system to cause its peer
> >> to use a transmit segment size of, say, 640 bytes -- so that
> >> the peer will never try to send a packet larger than that?
> >>
> >> I'm trying to get around a network packet-size problem.  In
> >> case it matters, the other end is SunOS 4.1.1 on a sun3, and
> >> I've been unable to find a way to limit its packet size
> >> directly.
> >
> > Setting the interface MTU should do it, i.e.:
> >
> >     ifconfig re0 mtu 640
> >
> > Not all interfaces support setting the MTU and some may have
> > range restrictions though.
>
> In particular, this seems to work with my wlan0 interface, but
> not with my re0 interface ...

That's certainly simple enough, and xl0 apparently supports the
reduced mtu setting.  It seems to be working just fine.  Thanks!

I'd thought of trying to set the sun's MTU, but hadn't been able
to find a way to do it.  It had never occurred to me that setting
the *recipient's* MTU would limit the *sender's* packet size.