whatkind of 19" LCD display??

David N davidn04 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 21:04:51 UTC 2008

2008/7/30 Gary Kline <kline at thought.org>:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 01:27:37PM -0500, Preston Hagar wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 9:43 AM, Chuck Robey <chuckr at telenix.org> wrote:
>> >

>> > I really like the Dell, both because of their outstanding contrast and
>> > brightness, no dead pixels in any of my LCDs, and the fact that they come with
>> > multiple interfaces which are switch selectable from the front panel.  The old
>> > 20" units had 4 jacks (RCA, S-Video, VGA, and DVI).  Really convenient.  The new
>> > 24" one, beyond being able to run native 1920X1080 for HiDef Video, it's got
>> > about 10 different jacks.  Looks it up the web, the Dell pages describe it best,
>> > and the contrast on that 24" has to be seen to be believed.  I actually turned
>> > it down!
>>
>> I would second the Dell's, specifically the UltraSharp line.  I have a
>> 19" Ultrasharp as my primary monitor and a 19" Dell "Standard" as a
>> secondary monitor.  The Ultrasharp has DVI and VGA, a built in USB hub
>> and is great to look at.
>

>        Thanks, Preston.
>
>        So:: boiling it down to a make and a line, now Chuck [[ and you ]]
>        give thumbs-up on the Dell.  "UltraSharp", rt?
>
>        A personal note from the cheapes--er, *thriftiest* guy alive:
>        for a new display, price isn' the driving force.  it's quality--
>        which includes durabiility, function, &c.  (actually, i wouldn't
>        mind 19+.) 20" [[[ and when the hell are we going to join the 18th
>        Century and go-metric?! ]]] ....20" is about the max since i cram
>        as many xterms with tiny fonts as possible.  so
>        brightness+contrast matter.   [[ if i could get out easily, i
>        might check out the 24" ... but that would only give me LCD-envy!!
>        --ah, *life* :-| ]]
>

>        Anyhow, ao far, i'm looking at the Hanns-G, the Samsung SyncMaster
>        (941BW), And possobily the VIewSonic.  And the Dell UltraSharp.
>
>        (gReat if Costco has these; but i'll try egghead.com too.)
>
>        Anybody here in the States have any other recommmendation,
>        plese gimmmee a shout:-)
>
>        gary
>

>> Preston
>
> --
>  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
>        http://jottings.thought.org   http://transfinite.thought.org

Hi

I'm a computer parts reseller in Australia (If that actually counts
for anything).

We personally prefer Samsung (3 years on site warranty) for most of
our displays here in the office and to customers.

And please please check the warranty terms, some will say 3 years
onsite, and in fine print, pick up and return, so you'll be out of a
monitor whilst its being repaired.

Cheers
David N