email disclaimer <insert; remove and instert>

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Tue Jul 29 13:56:03 UTC 2008

On Jul 29, 2008, at 6:13 AM, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

> I can tell you it is "impossible". Why?
> While you can actually write a script to try to do it, you'll more
> likely end up breaking the e-mail format, because it will not be too
> easy to rightly guess the content-type/boundaries in replies.

If one converted all messages to mutlipart/mixed and added the
disclaimer as text/plain part with a content-disposition: inline, then
you might be able to safely ensure that each message had exactly one
copy of the disclaimer.  But any script will have to be fully and
completely aware of all MIME structures, so using various perl
libraries is where I would start.

But of course you are right in that if you were replying to an
unsnipped reply there is no way to know the structure of the quoted
material in the first reply, so removing it from the quoted section
may well be impossible to do reliably.

On a side note, I'm wondering if the original poster is familiar with
the arguments presented in

   http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/

I haven't updated that in years, but I think that the points still hold.

-j