No controller detected when boot FreeBSD 7.0

vardyh vardyh at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 08:22:03 UTC 2008

Matthew Seaman wrote:
> vardyh wrote:
>> Hi all.
>> I'm a newbie to FreeBSD. I added
>>    'console="comconsole"'
>> to /boot/loader.conf and I got
>>    'hptrr: no controller detected.'
>> on the next boot. I didn't change anything else except for the
>> 'console=xxx'.
>> And I had had no problem before that. Could anyone tell me why?
>> I will very appreciate for your help :>
>
> This is just the driver for the HighPoint Rocket Raid controller being
> a bit too verbose.  It's detected that you don't have anything compatible
> with hptrr(4) and (unlike the usual behaviour of most Raid Controller
> drivers (or drivers for any sort of hardware really)) it considers
> this fact to be of such vital importance that it really had to print out
> something on the console.  Needless to say such behaviour has already
> been quashed in 7-STABLE and will not appear in 7.1-RELEASE.
>
> In other words, it's harmless and you can just ignore it.
> I suspect that this output wasn't actually triggered by your changing
> the console setting -- there's no conceivable way changing one should
> affect the other -- but that changing the way the boot messages are
> displayed has managed to draw your attention to it. You probably had
> it before but never noticed.
>
>     Cheers,
>
>     Matthew

But, actually it claimed that no controller detected and asked me to
specify the root filesystem manually, which wrote:

Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
Manul root filesystem specification:
                                     eg. ufs:da0s1a
  ?                              List valid disk boot devices
  <empty line>           Abort manual input

I tried ufs:/dev/ad0s1a, which was the real root filesystem registered
in my /etc/fstab, but it still could not be mounted. And the same
direction came out again to asked me to point out the root fs.

I tried '?' also, but it seems that no disk devices were found... The
kernel told me "List of GEOM managed disk devices:", and nothing but the
same old direction followed.