Binary upgrade from legacy version + ports

Jan Henrik Sylvester me at janh.de
Mon Jul 28 07:52:57 UTC 2008

Svein wrote:
 > Is there a problem using the prebuilt packages from STABLE on a
 > RELEASE box? If I want to run RELEASE, and still use the latest
 > packages? The ABI is consistent between STABLE and RELEASE, right?

Yes, there is a problem. See my posting here:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2008-June/177553.html

Unfortunatelly, I have not got an answer, but it is obvious packages
using this new symbol must fail:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/cvs-src/2008-May/091586.html

The question is, if other package may fail as well.

I have had one more error that went away after recompiling a STABLE package:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-gnome/2008-July/020520.html

I do not know if this is related, though.

If you find out more, please, let me know.

Cheers,
Jan Henrik