[freebsd-questions] Re: Port Management on a larger scale

darko darko.listsniffer at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 01:33:02 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 6:06 PM, Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET <ml at t-b-o-h.net> wrote:

>        2) Taking down or a failure of the NFS server pulls EVERY
> other system with it.

..just thinking out loud here...but.. what if you had 2 identical NFS/rsync
servers and used them together in a standby/failover method.

i.e. when you have to bring down one NFS/rsync server, you direct all
clients to the other and vice versa.

>        3) Working with lockd/statd can be problematic at times.
>        4) NFS on FreeBSD varies (I'M TOLD) between versions as to
> effectiveness, issues, etc.
>        5) I've run into issues where some programs are just NOT
> happy running over NFS (hylafax for me for example. POTENTIALLY a locking
> issue, but running a locking tester shows everything fine, but it
> just for the life of it won't work over NFS for me atleast).
>
>        Since this is a "personal" system, I put up with it. When
> I get the time/energy I'm going to break all the systems apart.
>
>                Tuc/TBOH

regards,
dg

"..but the more you use clever tricks, the less support you'll get ..." --
M.W.Lucas