system hangs on boot up if no internet available

Dave Abouav dave at transducertech.com
Wed Jul 23 21:53:23 UTC 2008

I setup a FreeBSD server (v 6.1) for my company as a simple Samba
server. It works fine. Except once in awhile our access to the outside
internet goes out (due to our ISP), and when it does the FreeBSD server
gets hung up, even after rebooted. This happened this morning, so I put
a console on it, and rebooted it. I saw that it gets hung trying to
start sshd. No error messages are given. If I hit Control-C, to skip
again access the server. Any ideas how I can avoid this problem? I'd
rather not skip the loading of sshd. I don't have any special programs
on the server that contact the outside world.

Thanks,
Dave