The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System

James Tanis jtanis at mdchs.org
Wed Jul 23 16:20:38 UTC 2008

"Kevin Kinsey" <kdk at daleco.biz> wrote:
> I stand ready for correction, but "Design & Implementation" is mostly
> about, well, the design of the system itself ... not an operational
> manual but a programmer's guide to OS internals.  And, not only that,
> but it's about 4.4BSD (1993?), so the exact OS described is quite old*;
> however, it's of great value not only as history but as 4.4BSD has
> fed code into not only FreeBSD, but NetBSD, OpenBSD, and others.
> (see /usr/share/misc/bsd-family-tree).  If that's not of interest
> to you I'd not worry about this book --- no offence to Mr. McKusick
> et al, of course.

Your thinking of "The Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating
System" not "The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System."
They are, believe it or not, two different books. Your point is just as
valid though as far as it being "not an operational manual but a
programmer's guide to OS internals."
--
James Tanis
Technical Coordinator