FreeBSD for webserver?

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Wed Jul 23 15:49:59 UTC 2008

Jerry McAllister wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 09:01:44PM -0400, Sahil Tandon wrote:
>
>> Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> Some people enjoy doing that.  Most people just want the software to work,
>>> be easy to maintain and upgrade and then stay out of their way.
>> Ahem, and that 'just works' crowd is generally not found using FreeBSD or in
>> an admin capacity. :-)
>

> Huh???    That is what you get with FreeBSD.   It works and
> requires a lot less handholding as a server.  As a web server, FreeBSD
> requires almost no admin tinkering.    You set it up, configure Apache
> and then it just works.
>
> ////jerry

Confirmed, I am getting my first taste of Centos this month. We needed
to use Centos to meet a client requirement. I could have the server up
in a few hours with FBSD.

At the moment I am waiting for the Linux admin to finish building custom
RPMs for everything I install because we need software either not in the
YUM repository, or not configured the same as the RPM maintainer
configured.

When I say "I'll just build from source" the blood runs out of his face
and he says "That is not a good idea, everything needs to be an RPM, it
would be bad, we can't do that".

What a pain.

DAve

--