The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System

darko gavrilovic darko.listsniffer at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 13:21:23 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 8:12 AM, FreeBSD Questions <
ml.freebsd.questions at gmail.com> wrote:

> details like the nitty-gritty of
> configuing sendmail, apache, samba, NFS, etc?

You might want to look at specific books targeting that software. Check
o'rielly.For example

http://search.oreilly.com/?q=sendmail

Note: you can also look at google books for some of these titles. I have
managed to find more that one that I needed and it's a free resource.
http://books.google.com/

> And what about "Absolute FreeBSD"?  It's updated for FreeBSD 7, so I
> know it's current.  Is it a "good book"?  Is it worth the read?  How
> valuable is its content?  (I know I'm asking some very subjective
> questions, but if I'm going to spend hundreds of $$$ to build my
> library in this area, I'd like at least a couple of opinions about the
> books I buy.)

I read it. I think it's a good FreeBSD book.

> Personally, I don't think I'd ever buy "The FreeBSD Handbook".  It's a
> really good resource, but as long as it's actively updated
> electronically it's too dynamic to buy a hardcopy.  I'd much rather
> read it online where I can get the latest revisions.

Do you mean "The Complete FreeBSD"? Thats available online for free.
http://www.lemis.com/grog/Documentation/CFBSD/

The "The FreeBSD Handbook" is the free resource available on www.freebsd.org
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/