connecting to a secured Windows 2003 terminal server

Paul Schmehl pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com
Wed Jul 23 03:59:58 UTC 2008

--On July 22, 2008 11:21:48 PM -0400 Steve Bertrand <steve at ibctech.ca>
wrote:

> Paul Schmehl wrote:
>
>> To the OP - here's what I get when testing from a FreeBSD box to one of
>> our servers:
>>
>> pauls at utd65257# telnet hostname.utdallas.edu 3389
>
>> Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> Does your server have SSL enabled? The OP stated that prior to upgrade,
> the box did NOT have SSL enabled.

RDP has three types of encryption capability: RDP (native), Negotiate and
SSL.  The default is RDP, which uses RSA keys.  To setup SSL you also have
to setup TLS and exchange certs.  The OP *may* have that setup.  I don't
recall.  Ours use the native RDP encryption layer with RSA keys and are
set to "Client compatible", which means they will use the highest key
strength possible - either 56 bits or 128 bits.  I think most, if not all,
of our clients use 128 bits, but I haven't verified that.

Paul Schmehl
If it isn't already obvious,
my opinions are my own and not
those of my employer.