Very Beginning CVSup Questions

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Tue Jul 22 03:01:35 UTC 2008

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 05:08:03 +0300
Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 20:08:37 -0400, "J.C." <human2205 at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> > The "Using the Ports Collection" page in the handbook says to make
> > sure /usr/ports is empty before running csup because otherwise "csup
> > will not prune removed patch files." Isn't this what the "delete" in
> > the supfile (as in the line *default release=cvs delete
> > use-rel-suffix compress) is for? Do I have to clean /usr/ports
> > every time I run csup or just the first time?
>
> Probably not.  It's been a while that I haven't used CVSup for ports/,
> so someone with more recent experience should answer this.

The issue isn't specific to ports. The same thing can happen with the
base system too when you adopt an existing tree that's older than the
CVS version. Deletions made in CVS between the two points on the
branch don't get made locally, because they rely on the relevant csup
list file. To be safe you either start from an empty tree, or do an
intermediate sync to the point on the branch that matches the local
copy.