Slapd not starting

sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us
Mon Jul 21 18:26:24 UTC 2008

I was having some troubles with the samba install telling me that openldap
2.3.42 and 2.4.10 would conflict.  I had installed openldap 2.4.10 server
and I guess that was the problem.  It seemed to start up just fine, but
since I could not get samba to install and it kept giving me the error
that the clients would conflict, I decided just to uninstall 2.4.10 and
install the 2.3.42.

Now when I try to /usr/local/etc/rc.d/slapd start, it just seems to sit
there and then goes back to the prompt.

I checked the port with sockstat -4 -p 389 and it is not running.  I don't
see anything in the /var/log/messages about it so I am not sure what is
going on.

I am confused why 2.4.1 seemd to run fine, but 2.3.42 does not even though
the config files are the same.  Thanks for any info.

Here is my /usr/local/etc/openldap/ldap.conf

SIZELIMIT        200
HOST 127.0.0.1
URI ldap://server.bloomfield.k12.mo.us
ssl start_tls
tls_cacert /etc/ssl/cacert.crt

and here is my /usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.conf

include                /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include                /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include                /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema
include                /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
include                /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/samba.schema

pidfile      /var/run/openldap/slapd.pid
argsfile     /var/run/openldap/slapd.args
logfile      /var/log/slapd.log
loglevel -1
sizelimit -1

modulepath        /usr/local/libexec/openldap
moduleload        back_bdb

security ssf=128
TLSCertificateFile /etc/ssl/cert.crt
TLSCertificateKeyFile /etc/ssl/cert.key
TLSCACertificateFile /etc/ssl/cacert.crt

database   bdb
suffix     "dc=server,dc=bloomfield.k12.mo.us"
rootdn     "cn=Manager,dc=server,dc=bloomfield.k12.mo.us"

rootpw     #######

directory        /var/db/openldap-data

index objectClass eq
index cn,sn,uid,displayName pres,sub,eq
index uidNumber,gidNumber eq
index sambaSID  eq
index sambaPrimaryGroupSID eq
index sambaDomainName  eq
index memberUID eq
index default

--
Scott Mayo - System Administrator
Bloomfield Schools

Question: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
Answer: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?