log size handling

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Sat Jul 19 16:50:25 UTC 2008

On Thursday 17 July 2008 13:31:39 Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:

> Yes, I am compressing them. Load is not an issue yet but I want to
> optimize things that can be optimized. So I guess, rotate more often? I
> like the idea of having one monthly log because it is then processed by
> web stat software so it is easier to submit one than a couple of them.

Even though the awstats code is a bit kludgy perl (as most perl is I suppose),
it is able to track the last line that it processed and so doesn't care if it
gets half a log file or 'full' ones.

I haven't looked at the more recent logprocessors in a while, so there may be
others. In short: you may want to look around for logprocessors that can
handle intermediate logfiles and still correctly create periodical stats.

In these cases it's actually beneficial to do frequent rotations, because the
arrays the software keeps in memory, are smaller by definition.
--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.