Headset w/ Mic Presario R3000

Paul Procacci pprocacci at datapipe.com
Fri Jul 18 04:26:11 UTC 2008

Hey all,

I've been using FreeBSD for many many years, but never have a tried to
get a headset working under FreeBSD.  So, here's the deal.  I have an
Altec Lansing Headset w/ mic hooked up to a FBSD 7 machine.  Generally,
when connecting a sound device to the system, I just normally 'kldload
snd_ich' and it will find the device and work out of the box.  Well, the
onboard speakers work just fine.  However, after attempting  to plug in
this headset, I am unable to a) hear from the headpeice, or b) speak
into the mic.

It's not a usb or bluetooth headset, just your run of the mill headset
to two plugs; one for mic and one for sound.  I've read the chapter on
sound on the FreeBSD site, but that itself didn't provide any details
about forcing the device to accept input from or output to the
headphones and mic.

http://blackk.union.edu/~black/freebsd/#audio

The above claims that sound works, and it does out the onboard
speakers.  I don't think a headset was tested.  Additionally, I figured
man mixer would give details but I'm not terribly certain what I'm
looking for is there.

Can someone be kind enough to provide a link or otherwise in the right
direction?

Thanks,
Paul