X won't play

Rem P Roberti remegius at comcast.net
Thu Jul 17 15:50:48 UTC 2008

I'm kind of new to this, so would appreciate a hand.  I just got through
configuring a custom kernel.  Both makebuild and installbuild take place
with no problems and the kernel boots just like it's supposed to.  But
when I try to bring up X I get this error message:

_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/remdog.net:0
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6
_XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running

Fatal server error:
Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't
already running

I rebooted with the old kernel and everything is back to normal.
Obviously I removed something from the kernel configuration file that I
shouldn't have.  Can someone give me a heads up on just what that might
be?

Thank you.

Rem