Wireless client won't associate to router with SSID not broadcast

Steven Friedrich FreeBSD at insightbb.com
Thu Jul 17 10:29:12 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 16 July 2008 09:13:00 pm Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 20:20:59 -0400, Steven Friedrich <FreeBSD at insightbb.com>
wrote:
> > My laptop connects just fine, until I config the router to turn off
> > broadcasting SSID.  Then, ifconfig reports "no carrier".
> >
> > Is there a config setting I need?
>
> Hi Steven,
>
> How are you bringing up the wireless interface?
>
> My home AP doesn't broadcast its SSID either.  The script I use to bring
> up ath0+wlan0 and connect my laptop at home includes stuff like the
>
> following (and it does work without SSID broadcasting):
> : # network interface options (partial; see below for more wlan0 stuff)
> : export wlans_ath0="wlan0"
> : export ifconfig_wlan0="inet 192.168.1.3/24"
> : export defaultrouter='192.168.1.1'
> :
> : echo '## Stopping network interfaces.'
> :
> : /etc/rc.d/netif stop fxp0 && ifconfig fxp0 delete
> : /etc/rc.d/netif stop ath0 && ifconfig ath0 delete
> :
> : echo '## Bringing up wireless interface.'
> :
> : /etc/rc.d/netif start ath0
> :
> : ifconfig wlan0 \
> :     ssid '********' channel 11 \
> :     wepmode on weptxkey 1 \
> :     wepkey '0xXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX'

In /etc/rc.conf, I have:
ifconfig_ndis0="wpa DHCP"

In /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf, I have:
network={
        ssid="FriedrichAir"
        psk="somekey"
}

LATE BREAKING NEWS
I GOT IT

I added ap_scan=2 to wpa_supplicant.conf and a few more
In /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf, I now have:
        ap_scan=2
network={
        ssid="FriedrichAir"
        scan_ssid=1
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        pairwise=TKIP
        group=TKIP
        proto=WPA
        psk="somekey"
}

Note: The man page for wpa_supplicant.conf incorrectly states ap_scan values
other than 1 are for other operating systems.
Read /usr/share/examples/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf regarding
ap_scan.