general question - php5 extensions

Wayne Sierke ws at au.dyndns.ws
Thu Jul 17 06:04:35 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 22:47 -0400, Brad Mettee wrote:
> Ok, maybe I wasn't as clear as I should have been.
>
> It wasn't that I didn't find php5-extensions, or even that it's difficult
> to use, but actually tracking down the php5-extensions directory in the
> first place was somewhat of a problem because there is no mention anywhere
> of it in the lang/php5 doc files. I finally stumbled on a reference to it
> in a 2 year old doc I found on google while looking for how to make .so
> extension extensions be found by php.

Sometimes in these situations a little bit of lateral thinking can be
helpful. A couple of quick searches may have found you what you wanted:

        %locate php | grep extension
        /usr/ports/lang/php4-extensions
        /usr/ports/lang/php4-extensions/Makefile
        /usr/ports/lang/php4-extensions/pkg-descr
        /usr/ports/lang/php5-extensions
        /usr/ports/lang/php5-extensions/Makefile
        /usr/ports/lang/php5-extensions/pkg-descr
        %cd /usr/ports  &&  make quicksearch name=extension | grep -i
        php
        Port: php4-extensions-1.0
        Info: A "meta-port" to install PHP extensions

Alternatively pipe to less(1) rather than grep(1) and use its search (/)
which can help to locate context-related information which might
otherwise be hidden by the more rigid grep filtering.

> There's also a couple of extensions
> not in the php5-extensions list, but I found them as well (samba share,
> "dir php5-* /ad /s" starting in the /usr/ports directory helped a lot).

find(1) will help you kick that nasty MS-DOS habit:

        find /usr/ports -type d -name "php5-*"

and even:

        ls -d /usr/ports/*/php5-*

could help reduce gratuitous use of SMB.

If you feel strongly enough that the existing documentation is
inadequate, you always have the option of submitting a PR to suggest
that it be changed, and also of submitting patches that implement your
suggestion.

Wayne