difference between loading kernel module during boot and after boot manually?

Vincent Barus vibarus at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 15 13:20:21 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 10:58 PM, Mel
<fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net> wrote:
> On Monday 14 July 2008 20:29:07 Vincent Barus wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 8:11 PM, Mel <fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net>
> wrote:
>> >
>> > There's one major difference. File systems aren't mounted at loader
>> > stage, so any reference to modules/libraries that exist on a different
>> > partition, will fail.
>
>> Right now i have only one partition and the same problem occurs. Other
>> modules e.g. for sound or the nvidia module work as a charm.
>> So I think that's not the only difference.
>> I can live with a module loaded at the end of the boot process/after
>> login but I don't think that's the real solution.
>
> Hmm, I can only guess here. Is the machine booting to xorg? As in, is the
> nvidia card actually initialized, not just in VGA mode? If so, does it work
> when it stays in console mode and/or when nvidia.ko is removed from the
> loaded modules?
>
> --
> Mel
>
> Problem with today's modular software: they start with the modules
>    and never get to the software part.

I start X manually after login.
You want me to unload nvidia.ko while on console? I never tried it -->
have to try it.
The card gets initialized during boot as it should instead of the nic
which causes:

re0: <RealTek 8168/8111B PCIe Gigabit Ethernet> port 0xd800-0xd8ff mem
0xfebff000-0xfebfffff irq 17 at device 0.0 on pci4
re0: couldn't map ports/memory
device_attach: re0 attach returned 6

as described in kern/123563

How do I track down mapping problems on boot time?

Regards,

Vince