named and its hourly reports

jonathan michaels jlm at caamora.com.au
Tue Jul 15 02:22:12 UTC 2008

first, i am not subscribed to teh list .. tooo much volume please use
the Reply-To: for reply.

i've just upgraded to freebsd v6.2 from a decade of using freebsd
v2.2.5-release .. most reliably most stable, by comparison this v6.2
has been a nightmare over this last year .. so many changes so many
things different from 2.2.5 stuff that was taken for granted that never
tirned up as part of teh ansers to the few questions i'v managed to
ask. so frustrating .. moan mode off!

named now reports hourly

Jul 15 06:55:10 hid named[617]: could not listen on UDP socket: permission denied
Jul 15 06:55:10 hid named[617]: creating IPv4 interface tun0 failed; interface ignored
Jul 15 07:55:10 hid named[617]: could not listen on UDP socket: permission denied
Jul 15 07:55:10 hid named[617]: creating IPv4 interface tun0 failed; interface ignored
Jul 15 08:55:10 hid named[617]: could not listen on UDP socket: permission denied
Jul 15 08:55:10 hid named[617]: creating IPv4 interface tun0 failed; interface ignored
Jul 15 09:55:10 hid named[617]: could not listen on UDP socket: permission denied
Jul 15 09:55:10 hid named[617]: creating IPv4 interface tun0 failed; interface ignored
Jul

i've tried teh hand book, even muddled my way through google, teh only
reference that has surfaced is a pointer to the fact the this error
message is because named is running in a sandbox ??? d'ont know when
that happened but freebsd now runs named from a sandbox ..

this machine is a router/gateway and old 486 with a small scsi hdd that
is rapidly filling up from this and others, to my mind silly error
messages.

is there some way to fix thins, is it a hard error, can i run named not
in a sandbox, i'm also seeing other errors that seem (to my mind) to be
related to this, but i am not sure so i'm keeping my mouth shut untill
i can work it out and find teh real culprit .. i have mild brain damage
that impinges on my cognitive process, ergo the poor typing
(neurological damage) and problems with language/understanding.

some pointers would be most appreciated .. i've been struggling with
this for aover a year now and do not know where else to go ??

sorry for teh whinge

most kind regards and gracious appreciations.

jonathan