Core(TM)2 Quad and TOP output

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 15:21:24 UTC 2008

Josh Carroll wrote:
>> He is already running with SMP, look at this part of his dmesg:
>>
>> ad10: 343399MB <Seagate ST3360320AS 3.AAM> at ata5-master SATA300
>> ad12: 343399MB <Seagate ST3360320AS 3.AAM> at ata6-master SATA300
>> acd0: DVDR <ASUS DRW-2014S1T/1.01> at ata7-master SATA150
>> SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
>> SMP: AP CPU #3 Launched!
>> SMP: AP CPU #2 Launched!
>>
>> His problem lies elsewhere I'm afraid...
>>

> Is SMP in GENERIC now in 6.3-STABLE then?
>
> I don't know, mptable looks fine, as does dmesg, but hw.ncpu is 1 - very odd.
>
> Josh

6.X has a GENERIC and an SMP prebuilt kernel on CD, and I believe
sysinstall selects the correct one to install as default. Having said
that, I always compile my own kernel very soon after the basic install
and I can't remember more specifics. But dmesg would not lie. Another
good indication is to see if there is a "C" column in top. Then you are
definitely running SMP.

PS: Ivan just posted, noticing there are several dmesg outputs in the OP
post. We' ve been looking at different configurations :)