Firefox 3 problems - SLOW...

Jonathan Chen jonc at chen.org.nz
Mon Jul 14 02:08:05 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 06:24:50PM -0600, Keith Seyffarth wrote:

> Has anyone else had problems with Firefox 3 installed from the ports
> being massively slow?
>
> Unlike on Windows, where the load time for the application is much
> slower (takes roughly twice as long as FF2 did), but once the
> application is loaded, it seems to be about the same, on my BSD box,
> the application loads in a little under half the time, but each page
> load takes much, much longer (8 minutes for the google firefox start
> page, 16 minutes for the welcome to Firefox 3 page, 10 minutes for the
> mozillazine home page, 6 minutes for each mozallazine forum page). On
> top of this, once the page is loaded, it take 90-120 seconds before
> you can interact with a page, and even then, interaction is slow - 5
> seconds between clicking in the scroll bar and the window moving, 15
> seconds between clicking a link and the browser acknowledging the
> click...

I did experience this, and I had to tweak the following settings in
about:config before the experience became usable:

    network.http.pipelining: true
    network.http.pipelining.maxrequests: 10
    network.http.pipelining.ssl: true

The image loading and display code seems to have changed significantly,
and some unintended behaviour seems to have been introduced. (I also
get ugly black boxes images if there is an resized image in the loaded
page.)

Hope this helps.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>