weird restarts when compiling

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 15:18:36 UTC 2008

Aggelidis Nikos wrote:
>> Not really. All modern CPUs have  BIST (built-in self tests) that run even
>> before the BIOS starts, and it would be really rare to actually have a
>> "working" system with a faulty CPU. Errors in mprime usually indicate some
>> other problem, such as bad memory, bad BIOS settings, overheating or an
>> incompatibility of CPU/motherboard etc.
>> Going back to what you said previously, you got an Nvidia 5200 graphics
>> card? Were these ever produced for PCI express or are you using a) a normal
>> PCI one or b)You got one of these weird mobos that have both AGP and PCI
>> express? As I understand there are no AGP-only motherboards for core2duo.
>>
> Yes i have a weird mobo that has both AGP and PCI. The nvidia is an AGP one.
> The mobo wasn't my choise :( but when the changed the false cpu with a
> dual core they didn't want to
> change the graphics card as well.
>
> Can this mobo create problems?

It is possible, having both an AGP and PCI express on the same board is
a hack, and not even all AGP cards are compatible with these mobos.  It
would be better to test it with a PCI express graphics card, if you can
grab one. I'd be happy to lend you one for testing, but I guess we are
not in the same town ;)  (Chania here...)