IPv6 Host Names

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Sun Jul 13 08:15:11 UTC 2008

I am using the getnameinfo function to convert an IPv6 IP address to
its name.  This works properly if the host info is in DNS.  However,
if its in the /etc/hosts file and not DNS then all getnameinfo returns
is the IP address.  If i call it with an IPv4 IP address then it looks
up the host name in /etc/hosts.  I have tried various host entries:

fe80::216:cbff:febd:a4e5        mbook6
fe80::216:cbff:febd:a4e5%rl0        mbook6
fe80::216:cbff:febd:a4e5%rl0        mbook6.local

Is there a way to get getname info to obtain host names from the /etc/
hosts file.  The nsswitch.conf file has

files dns