Disabling Super key?

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Sat Jul 12 15:07:48 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 06:47:57PM +0530, Girish Kulkarni wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 6:02 PM, Frank Shute wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 05:08 PM, Girish Kulkarni wrote:
> >> Any idea how I could make the effect of xmodmap
> >> permanent? (Adding relevant lines to ~/.xsession doesn't seem
> >> to help.)
> >
> > Make a ~/.xmodmaprc with your setting(s) in it and then call it
> > from ~/.xsession or ~/.xinitrc (depends on how you start
> > X). E.g you want a line like:
>
> Thanks for your reply. This doesn't seem to be helping though. I use
> ~/.xsession to start X so I put the following two lines in it:
>
>      xmodmap -e 'clear mod4'
>      xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc
>
> where ~/.xmodmaprc contains relevant instructions for disabling the
> Super key. I found that the Super key was not disabled even after
> this. I also tried including these two lines in ~/.xinitrc.

First, you should check what keycode the key you want to disable
produces. You can check this by using X11/xev and pressing the key.

On my English PC keyboard, the left Windows key produces keycode 115.

I can disable it by putting the following line in ~/.xinitrc since I
use startx(1):

xmodmap -e "keycode 115="

If you use xdm(1) or similar display manager, then you want to put
that line in ~/.xsession

Don't worry about having an xmodmaprc.

You'll obviously need to restart X for the change to take effect. Or
just run it from a prompt for it to have an immediate effect.

Regards,

--

 Frank