Linux for freebsd admins

Albert Shih Albert.Shih at obspm.fr
Fri Jul 11 13:34:48 UTC 2008

 Le 11/07/2008 à 07:29:35-0400, Ian Lord a écrit
> Hi,
>

> I tried debian ubuntu and fedora and didn't like them.
>
> I want:
>
> - A basic install (not 900 packages installed by default
>
> - No gui, I like my flashing cursor
>
> - an equivalent of ports. I want to easily compile my ports I don't like
> prebuilt package. Want to retrieve them by cvs.
>
> - an equivalent to portupgrade.
>
> I gotta admit mabe the three I tried was able to do that, but I'm so
> negative about linux thay maybe I didn't see the good point of it.
>
> Could you tell me which distribution you are using when you have no choice
> and need to go to linux ?

I'm in the same situation :

My experience :

	Fedora -->If you like the lastest features (including bugs) of software it's good distro

	Debian --> Good distro but IMHO the update is to slow and after
	some year on a server you run very out-of-date software

	CentOS --> Good if the software you need is RedHat Compliant only,
	because CentOS is a RedHat without the support.

About software (packages) :

	Fedora/CentOS : Using yum and rpm. Work well but they are not many
	packages in the official repository. You need to find with rpmfind
	many package.

	Debian : Lots of packages, but as I said it's out-of-date. You can
	run unstable (like 7-Stable) or Testing (like 7-current) but it's
	on your own risk.

Regards.

--
Albert SHIH