Enabling root login without an administrator account

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Jul 10 21:21:54 UTC 2008

Hi--

On Jul 10, 2008, at 1:58 PM, Veronica Labarca wrote:
> I have inherited a FreeBSD server and need to change the apache
> configuration, but cannot log in to the server. I have the root
> password
> (and know how to change it if needed in any case). The problem is
> that root
> login is disabled. There are various administrative accounts on the
> server,
> but I don't have the password to any of those. Can someone advise me
> as to
> either, how to get the root login enabled or how to change the
> password on a
> different account?
> Thanks for any help you can provide.

If you can login to the machine directly on console, the root password
should work.  At which point, set up a normal user account which is in
the wheel group and can use su, and/or install sudo.  Or use passwd to
change the passwords of some of the existing accounts to a known state.

If you really want to permit remote logins as root via SSH, edit /etc/
ssh/sshd_config and set "PermitRootLogin yes", and then restart
SSHd...but please be warned that this is a significant security risk,
unless you take measures like disabling password in favor of SSH keys
only, or use a firewall to restrict which machines can connect to SSHd
on this machine.

Regards,
--
-Chuck