dns update for 7.0

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Jul 10 17:37:28 UTC 2008

Joshua Frugé wrote:
> I just joined the list (but did search the archive), so I apologize in
> advance if this was already answered and I missed it.
>
> What's the process to update the base bind in freebsd for the new
> cacheing poisoning vuln that seems to be all the rage lately?
>
> I'm running freebsd 7.0-RELEASE-p2 and I am using the included base
> bind 9.4.2 as resolver for my network.  Will there be an update
> through freebsd-update to upgrade to bind 9.4.2-p1, or is there some
> other process I need to follow....compile source and replace?.

I recommend you install one or other of the bind ports:

   dns/bin9
   dns/bind94
   dns/bind95

All of these were updated last night to include the UDP port
randomization stuff in the latest security patch. (There's not much
point in installing dns/bind9 though, as that's a downgrade to bind9.3
from the system supplied bind-9.4.2)

You don't need to overwrite the base system bind -- the vulnerability
works on the cache of a running instance of named when configured as a recursive resolver.  So as long as you start up the patched daemon, everything should be fine.

To start up the version of bind you just installed from ports, add

  named_enable="YES"
  named_program="/usr/local/sbin/named"
  named_flags="-c /etc/namedb/named.conf"

to /etc/rc.conf and then run:

  /etc/rc.d/named restart

and check your system logs for a line saying something like:

 starting BIND 9.X.Y-P1 -c /etc/namedb/named.conf -t /var/named -u bind

where the 'P1' bit shows you're running the patched version.

There may well be a security notice and a patch for the base system
generated in the next few days: the security team is looking into the
matter and will respond in due course.  D-day for having everything
properly patched is the presentation Dan Kaminsky is doing at the
Blackhats conference on August 6th (or possibly August 7th)

The patches ISC  have produced will have an adverse effect if you're
answering something in excess of  10,000 DNS queries a second, which is
rather more than most people would get to deal with, but are otherwise
innocuous.

  http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/bind/bind-security.php

To test if a recursive nameserver is potentially vulnerable, grab
the perl script from this site:

  http://michael.toren.net/code/noclicky/

	Cheers,

	Matthew