How do I install openoffice from packages?

Kevin Monceaux Kevin at RawFedDogs.net
Thu Jul 10 13:45:12 UTC 2008

/Andreas,

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008, Andreas Davour wrote:

> After fooling around a bit with online installs I downloaded the package and
> installed manually. It does complain about other stuff not being there. Isn't
> packages supposed to work like port and pull in requirements automagically?
>
> Note: I have 6.3 machine, not 7.0-STABLE so I tried the 6.2 directory.
>
> /Andreas

I install everything from ports so haven't played around with packages
very much.  I'm sure the FreeBSD team makes sure all official packages
have correct dependencies set.  But, they have no control over unofficial
packages others have put together.  That's one drawback to using
unofficial packages.

When I installed OpenOffice from the ports tree, there were a few packages
it depended on with licensing restrictions, like diablo-jdk for example,
that had to be manually downloaded and put in /usr/ports/distfiles before
the ports in question could be built.  That might have something to do
with there being no official binary OpenOffice package available.

Even if you don't install from ports you could cd to the
/usr/ports/editors/openoffice.org-??? directory for the version of
OpenOffice you installed and issue:

make missing

which should give you a list of missing dependencies that need to be
installed.  You could then install via either ports or packages depending
on what you prefer, and what's available.

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
http://www.WacoAgilityGroup.org
Bruceville, TX