"New" user with a possible ZFS problem

Kevin Monceaux Kevin at RawFedDogs.net
Tue Jul 8 23:27:36 UTC 2008

Kris,

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> You may be running out of memory.  Increase kmem_size until it goes
> away.  I use 1500M on my systems, which are stable.  Yes, ZFS is a
> memory hog.

Boy, ZFS sure does sound like it's earned the title of memory hog.  Oddly
I'd been running for about a week without problems, and shuffled some
large files around during that week, and right before I got your e-mail I
had another hang.  I tried increasing the kmem_size setting and was
rewarded with a panic on reboot.  I already had it set at 512M.  A little
Googling tells me I'm going to have to compile a custom kernel to increase
it beyond that.  Oh well, it's about time I learned how to do that anyway.
I've compiled many a custom Linux kernel.  I started using Linux in the
1.xx kernel days before there were loadable kernel modules so almost
everything involved a kernel recompile.  I've read over the FreeBSD kernel
compile docs quite a while back but will need to go over them again.
Anyway, thanks for the tip.  I'll give it a try after a little research
and a little, or a lot of, compiling.

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
http://www.WacoAgilityGroup.org