Why would it make such a difference to move mysqld to anothermachine?

Bob McConnell rvm at CBORD.com
Mon Jul 7 13:22:04 UTC 2008

On Behalf Of Mel
On Sunday 06 July 2008 10:58:54 Matthew Seaman wrote:

>> I suspect that you could have achieved a pretty good speed-up simply
by
>> adding another hard drive to your server and moving all of the
database
>> onto it, separate from the web root and any other areas which apache
>> would be doing a lot of read/write operations on.

I have not been following this thread closely, and I don't know much
about MySQL, but I do have a question here. Is it possible that the
process of moving the database to the second machine also resulted in
cleaning up (defragmenting?) the files and reordering some tables to
more closely match their indexes? Would this reduce the response time on
the new server, at least until a significant amount of additional data
was added that reverses these effects?

Thank you,

Bob McConnell