Sound on amd64

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Sun Jul 6 21:24:02 UTC 2008

On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 10:25:58 +0200
Tore Lund <tl32 at next.online.no> wrote:

> Kurt Buff wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 8:48 PM, Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads at cox.net>
> > wrote:
> >> On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 19:02:09 -0700
> >> "Kurt Buff" <kurt.buff at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Do you have both the generic sound support (sound) as well as the
> >> specific hardware driver enabled in your kernel config?
> >
> > Sigh. Always something new to learn.
>
> Just wondering, why do people modify the kernel when kernel loadable
> modules can handle the sound card?  Is it necessary on some types of
> hardware?

Well, probably the main reason most people do it is to strip away any
unneeded functionality.  The GENERIC kernel contains a whole slew of
drivers and options that most people don't need, but are intended to
support a wide range of hardware configurations "out of the box".  You
can greatly reduce the kernel's size by only including the features you
really need.

--
PROOF OF GOD #501. ARGUMENT FROM SPORTS VICTORY (I)
      (1) My team won.