minimum xorg install for clients side

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bristol.ac.uk
Sun Jul 6 15:24:13 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 06, 2008 at 02:16:36PM +0200, Anders Trob??ck wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 11:38:42 +0100
> Anton Shterenlikht <mexas at bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > I've a headless machine on which I'd like to run
> > xorg clients, but no server. What ports do I need
> > to install? xorg-apps?
> >
> > many thanks
> > anton
> >

> Not 100% sure what you are asking, but if you want to run, let's say
> xterm, just install xterm!
>
> If you want to have a remote GUI logon with XDMCP install XDM, GDM or
> KDM then you can start X with the -query parameter!
>
> If this wasn't what you where asking please ask again:-)

sorry, I wasn't clear.

I have 2 FBSD boxes: a server with no graphics card (S) and a laptop (L).
I want to run X applications on S and see the results on L.
The applications I run on S are typically xpdf, gs, xfig, display,
firefox, etc.

While I could install ports/xorg on both boxes, this is probably
excessive. Since I won't run any xorg applications on L, I probably
don't need xorg-apps on L. Likewise, since I'm not running xorg server
on S, I probably don't need xorg-server on S. This is my basic
understanding of xorg server-clients model. Is this logic correct?

However, I'm not sure on what box (S, L or both) I need:
	xorg-libraries
	xorg-fonts
	xorg-drivers
	xorg-protos