Passive cooling problem with Athlon CPU

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Sat Jul 5 16:07:50 UTC 2008

On Saturday 05 July 2008 13:12:19 Mike Clarke wrote:
> I'm running 6.3STABLE with an AMD 4850e Athlon X2 and occasionally get
> the following message on the console:
>
> acpi_tz0: failed to set new freq, disabling passive cooling
>
> I also see the following 2 messages immediately after devd starts every
> time I boot (and which don't appear in any log file):
>
> hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: C1
> sysctl: hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: Invalid argument

And your /etc/sysctl.conf where you set this value? If it's not set by you, it
may be set by /etc/rc.d/power_profile based on your /etc/rc.conf.
Try to get the 'untainted' output of `sysctl hw.acpi':
0) reboot into single user
1) # fsck -p /
2) # mount -u /
3) # sysctl hw.acpi >/tmp/acpi.sysctl
4) # exit

Then post /tmp/acpi.sysctl. My guess is no Cx values are obtained from the
acpi, not even C1 (which is "normal operation" mode). This may or may not be
related to your failing high precision timer.

--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.