PPS and thunderbird

Chris Whitehouse cwhiteh at onetel.com
Tue Jul 1 20:59:53 UTC 2008

Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Sébastien Morand <seb.morand at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'm using thunderbird to read my mail and I'm not able to open
>> directly the attachments ".pps". Actually I get a lot of file like
>> this for my work, and it's quite boring to have to save them in a
>> directory and then read them with openoffice.
>>
>> When I try to read them zith tunderbird, the mime type is not
>> recognized, this is an "unknown" type and the application proposed is
>> mplayer (don't ask why...).
>>
>> Then i could choose the right application and open it, but the button
>> remember the choice is not available, so I have to choose manually the
>> program evertytime, this is also quite boring.
>>
>> So my questions are:
>> Why pps file are not recognized as powerpoint file?
>> Why am I not able to keep remember the choice to open .pps file with openoffice?
>
> I don't have a recent copy of Thunderbird at hand to check with, but
> I remember Thunderbird having a configuration screen for "Attachments"
> which (among other things) let you configure an "action" for different
> file types.  It probably depends on MIME types rather than file
> extensions, though, so if you are getting these ".pps" files with the
> wrong MIME type, you have a different problem.

In Thunderbird 2.0.0.14

Edit/Preferences/Attachments/View & Edit Actions to see a list of filetypes.

But until you download a file of a particular type it won't appear in
the list. I think when you download a filetype for the first time you
get a dialogue box asking what to do and if this action should be used
in future.

Chris