OpenNTPd howto?

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Tue Jul 1 17:28:56 UTC 2008

B. Cook wrote:
> Hello All,

Hey,

> root at core [/usr/local/etc]# 32 > ntpdate -b clock.nyc.he.net
>  1 Jul 12:49:57 ntpdate[70917]: step time server 209.51.161.238 offset
> 358.732506 sec
>
> Why when it was running did it not update the clock on the server?

My first guess, which is only a guess, is that your secure level is too
high for this to work. If your securelevel is set above zero, then your
clock can only be adjusted by a maximum of one second (please correct me
if this has changed since 4.x).

Check the output of:

sysctl -a kern.securelevel

> Strange thing two:
>
>  From a different computer I can not get the time from the server
> running openntpd.
>
> # ntpdate -b 10.20.0.16
>  1 Jul 12:50:23 ntpdate[679]: no server suitable for synchronization found

Have you confirmed that a clock server runs on that IP? Is the IP reachable?

If securelevel still has its place with affecting time changes, I'd try
'breaking' that to see if the time will actually update. Note that
securelevel must be changed via a startup variable of some sort, and a
reboot is required.

Then I would proceed to ensure that 10.20.0.16 is actually running a
timeserver that the network can reach.

Steve