Is it reliable to increase the MAXCPU in param.h ?

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 1 08:49:15 UTC 2008

ProAce wrote:
> Server: HP DL785G5 with 8 CPU ( 32 cores ) , 16G RAM
> OS: FreeBSD 7.0-amd64
> Kernel 1: MAXCPU = 16 ( default )
> Kernel 2: MAXCPU = 32
>
> DL785G5 run with kernel 1 and kernel 2 both successfully, and the
> FreeBSD can detect the 16 CPUs and 32 CPUs normally ( using top -S
> command).
>
> If I use kernel 2 for postgresql 8.3,  is it reliable and stable?

32 should be OK, but we haven't had access to such a machine yet (we
briefly had access to a 16-core system but it melted) so we have not yet
tuned for performance on it.  FreeBSD 8.0 will run better if you are
willing to use a development version of FreeBSD.

Kris