Configuring an older server for speed...

Ryan Coleman ryan.coleman at cwis.biz
Tue Jul 1 04:55:30 UTC 2008

Sahil Tandon wrote:
> Ryan Coleman <ryan.coleman at cwis.biz> wrote:
>

>> Kurt Buff wrote:
>>

> [...]
>

>> I would recommend fBSD 6.3 instead of 7. You don't need it, unless you have
>> a documented reason it has to be 7.0
>>

> Please qualify that recommendation; as it stands, it is pure FUD.

I don't see the need. And I couldn't get 7 to install on my brand new
machine. Once I got the 6.3 amd64 build it went in without an issue.

I don't see the reason to run the latest and greatest for a file/web
server. Desktops are one thing, but you can get more out of your CPU and
RAM with less clutter out of the box.