Starting X - was Re: Vista / FreeBSD dual boot

Siraj Shaikh siraj.shaikh at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 15:29:04 PST 2008

On 30/01/2008, Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 09:51:11PM +0000, Siraj Shaikh wrote:
> > On 30/01/2008, Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz> wrote:
> > > On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 09:29:02PM +0000, Siraj Shaikh wrote:
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > The i810 driver doesn't quite support laptop screens that well. Try using
> > > the "intel" driver (x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel) instead. This driver
> > > will conflict with the i180 driver, so you will have to remove the old
> > > one first.
> > >
> > How do I do this? what do I change? Thanks
>
> There should be a more elegant way to do this, but the way I did it
> was to:
>
>    # pkg_delete -f xf86-video-i810-1.7.4
>    # cd /usr/ports/x11-drivers/xorg-drivers
>    # make rmconfig
>    # make config
>    [untick i180 and tick intel]
>    # portupgrade -f xorg-drivers
>
> After which, X on my laptop started behaving as it should.
> --
> Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>

Jonathan

I followed your instructions but still doesnt work.

Now, all this is really disappointing. Would you suggest I reinstall
FreeBSD 6.3? Perhaps I reinstall it without choosing Xorg during
sysinstall and then install it later through package or port?

If you think this wont make a difference, then I am prepared to just
leave it as it is for now I think.

Thanks