boot panic on 7.0RC1

Drew cotharyus at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 07:16:51 PST 2008

On Jan 29, 2008 8:19 AM, Mel <fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday 29 January 2008 13:04:48 Drew wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I'm posting this in the hopes that someone can point me in the right
> > direction, and that it may possibly help someone else. The kernel panic
> > below is generated at boot, and is reproduceable as many times as you
> want
> > to do it. A few details on the hardware, the machine is a couple of
> years
> > old, but never displayed any real instability. My only suspect hardware
> is
> > the hard drive itself, and possibly ram, however seatools and memtest
> clear
> > them both with flying colors, for what that's worth. The machine is an
> > Athlon XP1900+, and I'm still running GENERIC (I usually compile
> something
> > custom after a machine has been up and going a while, but this was only
> > installed this past week) and the machine is under light load at best,
> > running natd, apache, mysql and postfix for my home network. One thing I
> > will point out is that the power went out yesterday on this machine, and
> > while the UPS's normally keep everything up, apparently the power was
> out
> > for more than 30 minutes because all of my machine's rebooted. When this
> > one came back up, it had hosed /var/log, but a good fsck cleared that
> up.
> > Later it quit working, and I got a brief look at a panic before it
> rebooted
> > - I know nothing about the first panic other than it was a kernel panic.
> > When it rebooted it came back to where it would mount / and stopped,
> with
> > the infamous mountroot> prompt. I politely advised it that it needed to
> > look ufs:ad1s1a and got the following panic - forgive any formating
> errors
> > on my part - I assure you the information I copied off the screen is
> > correct.
> >
> > Warning: / was not properly dismounted
> >
> > Fatal Trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
> > cpuid = 0, apic id = 00
> > fault virtual address = 0x188
> > fault code = supervisor read, page not present
> > instruction pointer = 0x20 : 0xc0747d14
> > stack pointer = 0x28 : 0xe3391aa0
> > frame pointer = 0x28 : 0xe3391ab8
> > code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
> >                       = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> > processor flags = interupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> > current process = 1 (swapper)
> > trap number = 12
> > panic: page fault
> > cpuid = 0
> > uptime: 42s
> >
> > All of this panic can be reproduced character for character (except the
> > uptime, unless you try real hard) time and time again. Any pointers on
> what
> > might be wrong here? Thanks in advance.
>
> Taking a wild guess, but looks like the filesystem is screwed, possibly
> [...]

Mel,
Thanks for the pointer - I've suspected something similar, but didn't have
anything but the install CD available there. I'm going to try a few things
with the live cd when I get back home. In spite of 8 years of using FreeBSD,
I consider myself a raw newbie at things like this due to the profound lack
of problems I have experienced with FreeBSD as a whole.

Drew