Network configuration in FreeBSD

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Mon Jan 28 17:06:50 PST 2008

On 2008-01-28 18:18, Bhuvaneswari Ramkumar <ramkumar at iastate.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Christopher Cowart <ccowart at rescomp.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Send the list the output of the following commands:
> > # ifconfig -a
> > # netstat -rn
> >
> > With that info, we can probably help you out better.
>
> ifconfig -a
>
> em0:  flags .......lot of data .....................
> status: active
>
> ( I'm guessing this is the ethernet interface)
>
> netstat -rn
>
> routing tables:
> Internet :
> 127.0.0.1  ..followed by some IPs, flags(UH), etc ..
>
> Internet6
> expire followed by some hex-values and flags
>
> would this do or more specifics needed ?

Not really, no.  You are supposed to show the *exact* output of
commands, if you expect more useful answers.

Now, I understand that without networking, it may be tricky to capture
the output and post it in an email message.

If you have a floppy disk you can use the floppy to capture the output
of these commands, i.e. by mounting it:

	# cd /root
	# mount -t msdosfs /dev/fd0 /mnt
	# ifconfig -a > /mnt/ifconfig.txt
	# netstat -rn > /mnt/netstat.txt
	# umount /mnt

If you have a USB flash drive, you can mount that too (assuming it has a
single FAT partition):

	( plug the USB flash disk into a USB socket )

	# cd /root
	# mount -t msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /mnt
	# ifconfig -a > /mnt/ifconfig.txt
	# netstat -rn > /mnt/netstat.txt
	# umount /mnt

	( unplug the flash disk )

It will help immensely if you post the *exact* output of the commands
mentioned by Christopher.

- Giorgos