Network configuration in FreeBSD

Bhuvaneswari Ramkumar ramkumar at iastate.edu
Mon Jan 28 13:29:56 PST 2008

Hi,

I'm a newbie FreeBSD user, I've just installed the 5.5 version.
I know this is a very silly question but I've searched the archives and any
suggestions are welcome.

I think my system is not connected to the internet or any external network,
ping dosent work ( nor ftp or dig)

When I try to do a post-install configuration and choose to enable the inetd
daemon option from the sysinstall, it doesnt invoke the editor to change the
inetd.conf at all, so I did a root-login and enabled ftp, even pftp and
other services in the file as mentioned in the installation document.

But still I'm unable to ftp to any server, the message I get is ftp:
hostname or servname not known or not provided.

Do you guys have any ideas ?

Thanks
Bhuvana