error while updating ports: x11/xorg-libraries

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Sat Jan 26 15:09:56 PST 2008

On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 09:57:20PM +0100, Huub wrote:

> >First off, you should probably update your ports tree. Firefox is now
> >at 2.0.0.11,1, and xorg-libraries is at 7.3_1.
>
> I started with updating the ports tree.
>

> >Then try the upgrade again. If it still fails, show us the errors from
> >the xorg-libraries build.
>
> [Updating the pkgdb <format:bdb_btree> in /var/db/pkg ... - 685 packages
> found (-0 +1) . done]
> --->  Upgrading 'xorg-libraries-7.2_1' to 'xorg-libraries-7.3_1'
> (x11/xorg-libraries)
> --->  Building '/usr/ports/x11/xorg-libraries'
> ===>  Cleaning for xorg-libraries-7.3_1
> /usr/X11R6 exists, but it is not a symlink. Installation cannot proceed.
> This looks like an incompletely removed old version of X.  In the
> current version, /usr/X11R6 must be a symlink if it exists at all.Please
> read /usr/ports/UPDATING (entry of 20070519) for the procedure to
> upgrade X.org related ports.*** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/x11/xorg-libraries.
> ** Command failed [exit code 1]: /usr/bin/script -qa
> /tmp/portupgrade.15405.6 env UPGRADE_TOOL=portupgrade
> UPGRADE_PORT=xorg-libraries-7.2_1 UPGRADE_PORT_VER=7.2_1 make
> ** Fix the problem and try again.
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> OK, so it looks like I have to update Xorg ports first. Reading UPDATING
> it seems quite a lot of work. Can you tell it will work out ok?

Hmm, how did you end up with 7.2 installed, with the old /usr/X11R6 dir?
I thought that went away in the transition from 6.9 to 7.2...

Anyhow, following Kris' instructions in UPDATING should see you through
the upgrade OK. I did it quite painlessly on a few machines, although
others did report difficulties. If it comes to it, you can uninstall
all your X-related ports and do a clean install of Xorg 7.3 - it'll
take a while, but it will get the job done.

I hope it works out!

Dan

--
Daniel Bye