speeding up buildworld/kernel

Maxim Khitrov mkhitrov at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 12:32:19 PST 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 3:15 PM, Aryeh M. Friedman <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com> wrote:
> I update my sources at least once a day and do buildworld/kernel just
> as often... It seems some stuff that needs not be recompiled is on
> every single run for example gcc and kerbos.   I have NO_CLEAN in
> /etc/make.conf is there anything else I can do to speed stuff up...
> for ref here is my /etc/make.conf:
>
> CPUTYPE?=nocona
> KERNCONF=MONSTER
> NO_CLEAN=
> NO_LPR=
> # added by use.perl 2008-01-17 11:48:48
> PERL_VER=5.8.8
> PERL_VERSION=5.8.8
>
> - --
> Aryeh M. Friedman
> FloSoft Systems, Java Tool Developers
> Developer, not business, friendly
> http://www.flosoft-systems.com

I might be wrong, but NO_CLEAN seems like a bad idea except in special
circumstances. Install ccache, but make sure you set
CCACHE_HASH_COMPILER environment variable to 1. That will make sure
that the cache stays valid if the compiler executable is overwritten
by an identical copy (as it would be on installworld). When the
compiler changes the cache will be repopulated on the next rebuild.

- Max