X -configure fails on 6.3-Release

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Sun Jan 20 12:01:31 PST 2008

Jim Guojun [VFFS] wrote:
> After installed FreeBSD 6.3 on two machines, and X server cannot be
> started somehow on either one.
>
> Both "X -configure" and "X -probeonly" failed and errors are in
> attached file -- Xerr.
> Also, Xorg.o.log is attached.
>
> Both machines run FreeBSD 6.2 and X works fine.
> I search wiki.x.org and freebsd list, but did not see any information
> related to this problem.
>
> Can someone tell me what is going wrong on my installation or X
> configuration?
>
> Thanks,
> -Jin

I rarely install X from packages during install myself (I most always
compile the entire Xorg from ports afterwards). But wanting to test my
CDs, I did, and got the exact same result. It seems that when installing
the Standard distribution with X, several parts are not selected (like
xorg-drivers, which is causing this exact symptom. You will also find
out there is no "startx" command). Maybe the installation does not take
into account that Xorg is now modular?
However, when you reach the question about installing packages, you can
actually select the entire xorg-7.3 package and install it. This will
take care of the problem.