portupgrade: the -P options rarely works

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 19 15:19:02 PST 2008

Giorgio Valoti wrote:
> Hi all,
> I’ve noticed that using the -P option with portupgrade, which should try
> to fetch the binary version of a package rarely works. Most of the times
> it tries to fetch the package from the freebsd site, it fails and then
> proceed to build it from the sources.
> While I can expect from to time that a pre-compiled version of a package
> to be unavailable, it surprises me to see this so many times.

We can not guarantee that a given package is available at any given
moment, except during release cycles when the tree is frozen.  The
continual process of changes and updates mean that from time to time a
randomly selected package may not be buildable.  However, taken as a
whole, almost all of the packages are available at any given moment.
You can check the status for yourself on http://pointyhat.freebsd.org if
you like.

Kris